2014-05-20

From the archives: Quick Quack Quo

Here's something that I was working on about a year ago, pretty much at the start of my current bout of interest in game design.  It was inspired by a list of game challenges that someone posted on BoardGameGeek, one of which was to create a game using nine cards.

I don't remember all the processes that I went through while working on this, but I ended up thinking about combining a worker placement mechanic with a tic-tac-toe game, where the nine cards were used to form the three-by-three board (different configurations make for different games) and each had some different effect in game.  I found some cute wooden duck meeples, which worked nicely with the idea of trying to get your ducks in a row, and I introduced a couple of resources to swap about: bread, because ducks like bread  (though it's not good for them, kids!) and little bread bits were also available, and... umm... coins because I ran out of inspiration.  Incidentally, the rules linked below don't specify how many resources to use.  I found that 5 each of bread and coins seems about right.
Yes, it's a game all about getting your ducks in a row.  Maybe I should do one about singing from the same hymn sheet.


This game also gave me an introduction to nanDECK for creating the cards.  My graphic design skills are, of course, terrible, but at least the software allowed me to produce passable prototype components reasonably easily.

After some playing and revision I ended up with a version that isn't awful.  It is what it is, a little, not-completely-trivial, but lightweight two-player game.  Sometimes, however, the cards end up laid out in such a way that the first player gets a huge advantage, so if I was to do more work on this game I would certainly have to look into that, but for now I think I will leave it as a good little exercise that got me going.

Incidentally, I can't remember where I got the images I used on the cards, and I didn't make a note at the time (something I do now), but I'm pretty sure I used stuff that was freely reusable.  Apologies for the lack of credits.

Links:
Rules on DropBox
Cards on DropBox


No comments:

Post a Comment