2023-03-05

Starting over for a new year - March is the new year, right?

Over the last couple of years, the board game design part of my life has stagnated quite a lot. While online game development and testing works pretty well, it turns out that I am most energised by regular face-to-face sessions of testing. Before Covid, I was visiting London for an afternoon of playtesting most months, having a monthly meetup with a couple of semi-local designers, and having occasional other testing opportunities at other times too. It was never the several-times-a-week testing that some folk manage, but it kept things moving along pretty nicely.

In recent months, I have started getting back to the London meetup occasionally (not regularly yet), and we have just reinstated the semi-local meetup, though I've not yet tried recruiting other local playtesters again. 

During an email exchange with another game designer recently, it occurred to me that I used to enjoy writing this blog as a rough journal that encouraged me to get thoughts into some semblance of order, and very occasionally being the start of a conversation with someone out there. I've fallen into a cycle of not feeling I have much to say and editing myself too much, as well as finding all sorts of excuses why I shouldn't write anything. I don't think this is a helpful situation, so maybe I should just pull my finger out and write something.

So, in the spirit of getting things going again, I'll make a quick note of a few of the projects I have been working on recently...

The Artifact is a tile-laying and some-other-stuff game that I have been working on with Alex Cannon, almost entirely online. There is a core of game play that works pretty well and there are several other bits of game that we have tried, but while the game has had many forms that have played pretty well, there has always been something that we have been unhappy with. This has been a really interesting process, and I think we are gradually homing in on a game that we can then work on refining properly, but there is still a little way to go.

A 2D virtual tabletop showing a gridded board, with coloured domino-like tiles on it and various cards and tokens on the board and nearby

Squirrel Invasion is a re-imagining of a game that I was working on long ago, that long-term readers of this blog might remember as Invaded. The idea is that players control tribes (now of squirrels) trying to get by in their homeland, which is invaded by an aggressive, non-player, colonial power (grey squirrels). The current version is very light and plays more like a wonky family game than I would like, but it plays, which is something, and I have some ideas.

On a table, 15 cards that are mostly green, with illustrations of trees and ponds on them, all arranged in a triangle. On these cards are squirrel figures, some grey and some brown. Other cards and components are also in the table.

City State Co-op is an implementation (with a terrible working title) of an idea I posted about on this blog several years ago. The core idea is players each control city states in an ancient world that are beholden to demands from both their populace and the gods; the problem is that some of the demands involve attacking each other, and you need everyone to survive and thrive in order to win. I was stuck on this for a very long time, but a discussion a few months ago with Rory Muldoon got some good ideas up, and I now have a functioning version which I think has some merit, but the challenge curve is currently terrible.

On a table, several cards, with icons displaying buildings and other stuff, overlapping each other, and partially tucked behind a bigger card with tables on it. On these cards are 6-sided dice and small wooden cubes of various colours.

Now, let's see how often I can continue this blog...


2 comments:

  1. I hear you, Rob. I tend to be quite irregular at blogging, possibly because I'm not a quick writer. I'm not good at diary-type blogging, but feel I ought to have a topic or a purpose. Oh well, we each have our own style, and well done for getting back into the groove.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alan. I don't think one post quite constitutes a groove yet, but everything has to start somewhere. I think I'll probably mostly go with the diary/journal stuff, but hopefully will add some discussion as and when. I do periodically play a game, hear a podcast, or see a thing that starts me thinking about stuff, so maybe I should just write some of it down. :)

      Delete