2021-02-04

I Want To Play With My Ætheling*

So, that game idea I talked about a few weeks back with the hunting accidents and the like, well it has developed a bit and I have built a playable prototype on Tabletopia. Then I decided to get some practice on other technology and now I have an upgraded prototype on Screentop as well.

The idea has filled out a bit. We have three "locations" -- I need a better name for these, but essentially they are places with things that are going on that nobles might go to: a hunting party, a feast or banquet, and a war. As a player you have four (currently -- it could easily be a different number) members of your "family", and play cards that send members of your, or your opponents', families to and from these three functions, or cause unfortunate incidents to occur at the functions (often killing off attendees). In various situations (like surviving attendance of a function) your family may get prestige, which counts towards victory at the end of the game, as does the "rank" of any family members who survive.

This is on Screentop.gg - solo playtesting a multiplayer card game
is a bit fiddly, but a heck of a lot easier than with a physical prototype.

If all of your family members are killed, that's you out of the game... sort of. Well, actually it isn't. The idea is that if you are knocked out, you get a bonus character, the papal legate, and you get to (secretly) predict who will win the game. If you are correct in your prediction, then you share victory with that player. The game then ends when the next family has their last scion dispatched.

I am pretty sure this arrangement will work best with four or more players, but we will see.

I'm enjoying how this already drifting away from its original mechanical and structural inspiration, Family Business. Most of the cards in the game are analogues of those in the older game, but are now taking into account the multiple sources of peril for the characters. Initial testing suggests that it works at least a bit, but I am concerned that this diffusion of the game might make it more unwieldy. We will see how it works over a few playtests.  

One thing I have already discovered is that my current card mix doesn't give the right dynamic in the game, and play tends to result in almost all of the nobles being moved to locations before anything much else happens.  This may not actually be a bad thing, but it did feel a little dull as it stands. 

In Family Business, there is the concept of a "mob war", which is triggered in a number of ways, including there being a sufficiently large number of mobsters on the "hit list", and when this happens, at least one mobster will die on every player's turn until the war is over. This is a really effective way of driving the game forward, but I feel I don't want to do that in this game, partly because, while I am OK with creating a game that borrows/steals a lot from another game, I don't want it to be a rip-off, but also very much because that doesn't really fit thematically. 

I don't yet have a solid idea for how to address the pacing and arc of the game, but I'm sure something will come that will make the game feel more of a thing in its own right.


* If you didn't know, Ætheling is the Anglo-Saxon name for a member of a royal family who was considered a valid choice to become king, back in times before formal lines of succession were established and monarchs were effectively elected by a council of nobles.

No comments:

Post a Comment