2016-09-28

Being Invaded

I was listening to the always-interesting Perfect Information Podcast the other day (episode 25) and enjoying the deep, opinionated discussion (also loquacious and somewhat sweary) about some of those tricky subjects that get glossed over, ignored, whitewashed or romanticised in games.  Like slavery, or representation of indigenous peoples in colonial settings.  There are a lot of interesting thoughts there, but the one that really caught my attention was the assertion that while there are many games where players control colonial powers, there aren't any which treat the indigenous peoples as anything other than an obstacle to be overcome.  Okay, so there is Archipelago, which is a little more nuanced, but I think the point still stands.  The general assumption is that the colonial powers are the "good guys" at some level.

So why are all the games from the point of view of the colonisers and never about the colonised?
I gather it doesn't always go well for colonial powers.
Source: By Melton Prior (1845-1910). - The Illustrated London News May 14, 1881, vol. 78, p. 469. Scan provided by The Library of Congress., Public Domain
So this got me thinking.  Can I make a game where players actually control indigenous tribes in a land, getting on with whatever alliances and rivalries they have, and then an external colonising power arrives to steal their lunch?

This is still early stages, but I think I can go somewhere with this.  I'm writing this post largely to just put something into a more tangible form which might encourage me to actually turn it into something playable.

Just as some rough notes for now...

  • Tribes can have a number of possible strategies:
    • Fight the invaders.
    • Trade with the invaders.
    • Collaborate with the invaders.
    • Flee.
    • Aim to get rich.
    • Try to use the invasion to wipe out a rival tribe.
  • I'm not sure about overall objectives, but presumably being in a better position than other tribes at a certain point is important.
  • The invaders can be assumed to be almost unstoppable and with technologies that the tribes can't really compete with.
  • This could be cooperative, but I would like it to be competitive.  Maybe there could be different play modes.
  • Basing this on a historical period and location (colonisation of Africa, North America, South Pacific, etc) could offer some really great opportunities for a really interesting game.
That's about what I have right now, but I've had a chat with a game designer friend about this and some more ideas are starting to swirl around, so the next step is probably to put something basic on the table.

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic. I wonder if the tendency to design games from the point of view of the colonial powers is not just about Euro-centric thinking (although that's a big part of it) but it's also a case of the process of game design itself pushing designers towards one side rather than the other. Empire-building lends itself much more easily to euro-games. Exploring areas, managing resources, reacting to events and aiming to get rich - all of this seems perfectly suited to being modelled in modern game design. Who has the most gold tokens at the end? They win. Simple. It take's a bit more imagination to think of good win conditions for indigenous people faced with invasion.

    Trying to go against this sort of path-of-least-resistance thinking is a worthy aim in itself. I guess that's true of all forms of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, thanks for commenting.

      Yeah, with all of these thoughts and experiments either I end up with a playable game or I don't, but in any case I will have learnt something. I hope, at least.

      Plausible/sensible goals for an oppressed people could be a challenge, as you say. I am starting to feel that the thing to do would be going for a Feld-style "point salad", where just about everything you do earns you points. Make a trade with the invaders? Have some points. Defend a village? More points.

      That's a style of design I've never tried before, which probably makes it worth a go in itself. Balancing the rewards for different actions would then be the critical element as it would be the main driver for player behaviour.

      Delete