2016-03-04

Boogie Fails

Last week I finally pulled my finger out and produced version 0.4 of the Boogie Knights cards, and then this week I got to playtest using these and some modifications to the rules I had been working on, though I hadn't actually got around to producing a new rulebook to go with the cards.  We actually managed to have a couple of games using different rule variants, as I was looking for clues as to where I was to go.

The main change from version 0.3 to 0.4 was that I had removed the accessories and added "special move" cards that could be played on someone else's turn to give a bonus in a challenge and increase the element of surprise and uncertainty.  Rule-wise, I had also added the rule that you could discard and replace as much of the hand of cards you were originally dealt, and that you could play an equipment card face down in front of you and then, when challenged, you could choose to "quick change" into that equipment.
Pour encourager les autres
So the playtests of this new set suggested that the changes I had made resulted in a worse game overall.  The card mix was all to pot and the special moves just didn't really seem fun.  I was effectively adding a new card type and associated rules, without making the game more interesting or enjoyable.

Version 0.3 had some shortcomings, but stuck around for some additional playtests as it was a reasonable base on which to experiment. In this case, however, I detect a blind alley, and I'm going to abort and try something else.  It is possible that the special moves are fixable, and I may come back to them in another form later on, but for now, so long!

Actually it wasn't all negative.  The face-down quick change cards were deemed good, and I think they pretty much achieve what the special moves were meant to do, so that rule will stay for now.  And the optional mulligan at the start was good.

So, so long version 0.4, we barely knew you!  Coming as soon as I can manage, version 0.5...


No comments:

Post a Comment